encrypting to expired certificates

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Sep 16 21:11:14 CEST 2014

> Furthermore it seems proven to me now that even the elite of the OpenPGP
> users "don't understand what key expiry means".

Or, perhaps, many people are seeing that you do not understand the
meaning of, "don't use this key past this date."  You look into the
abyss, the abyss looks into you, and all that.

In deference to Peter's hot-button issue of food expiration, I'll use a
couple of other examples:

* A police officer pulls me over for speeding.  I give him my driver's
  license.  "Sir," he tells me, "this expired last month."  Yes,
  officer, but it's okay, I've actually got a current driver's license
  at home -- just because *that particular* expiration date has passed
  by doesn't mean my driving privileges have expired.  Result: I still
  get a ticket for driving with an expired license.

* My paycheck is stamped, "Expires after 90 days."  On day 91 I take
  it to the bank to get it cashed.  The bank refuses.  "But there's
  plenty of money in my company's account," I tell them, "and my
  company agrees that I'm owed this money.  Nothing bad will happen
  if you cash this check.  Look, I've brought an HR representative with
  me: he will attest that you can cash this check."  Result: the bank
  refuses and I have to convince my company to draft me a new,
  non-expired check.

* My hunting license expires on a certain day.  The day after the deer
  season ends, a game warden spots me over a freshly-killed deer.
  "Look," I tell the warden, "there are still plenty of deer and it's
  not as if there's any harm done."  Result: I get a citation for
  poaching.

* I take a prescription to the pharmacist's.  "Sorry," the pharmacist
  says, "this says 'expires after 30 days'.  I can't fill your meds."
  But I'm still sick and I still need them.  Result: I get sent back
  to the doctor to get a new, non-expired prescription.

... I have to confess, I don't understand how people can reach these
highly tenuous meanings of "expire" which don't actually mean "expire".