encrypting to expired certificates

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Sep 17 22:49:31 CEST 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 3:54 PM, MFPA <2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi
>

> On Tuesday 16 September 2014 at 11:03:29 PM, in
> <mid:5418B3B1.4010106 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton wrote:
>

>> When you get into the edit-key menu you can do 'uid *'
>> (or specifically select the uids you want to update, if
>> not all). Then update the expiry.
>
> Do key UIDs have an expiry date? I never noticed that.

Both keys and UIDs can have expiration dates in OpenPGP.  Though both date fields live on the UID self-sig, they're not the same thing and aren't necessarily set to the same value.

GnuPG, like most OpenPGP clients, only really implements key expiration, though it should properly honor a UID expiration if someone generates it elsewhere.

David