"g13" tool in GnuPG 2.1 (was: decrypt luks with gnupg Card: determine if cardreader has pinpad)

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Apr 2 18:35:46 CEST 2015

On 31/03/15 13:25, Jan Kowalsky wrote:
> I wrote a howto (in german) in addition to the one from Peter Lebbing
> (thanks a lot!):
> https://wiki.datenkollektiv.net/public/gnupg/luks_gnupg_card

... in which the following message by Werner from 2009 is linked: [1]

>From which I will quote:
> Another option would be to wait a while and use the new g13 tool which
> is part of the new development branch of GnuPG.  It is fully integrated
> into GnuPG and provides a platform independent replacement for LUKS.
> For now only Encfs is supported but the system is designed to support
> all kinds of backends (Even one on top of LUKS is possible).  The
> advantage of G13 is that you use real public key cryptography and thus
> your actual private key never leaves the card - it is only used to
> encrypt the bulk encryption key(s).

So is G13 ready for use?

(note that the LUKS script written by me and modified by Jan also uses
real public key cryptography; that remark in the quote refers to a
different method of unlocking an encrypted drive using an OpenPGP card).

Cheers,

Peter.

[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2009-November/037599.html