Unusable secret key (adduid)

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Tue Apr 14 02:23:12 CEST 2015

On 04/14/2015 04:23 AM, Ivan Markin wrote:
> On 04/13/2015 07:37 PM, Werner Koch wrote:> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 23:01,
> ivansunset at gmail.com said:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm using OpenPGP card to store my secret keys on it. Now I'm
>>> adding a new UID to my key by running gpg2 --edit-key. What I've
>>> got is this
>
>> You need to insert your card to create a new UID.
>
>>> gpg: secret key parts are not available gpg: signing failed:
>>> Unusable secret key
>>>
>>> How to solve this?
>
>> Insert the card.   Check out that the card works by running
>
>> gpg --card-status
>

> Thank you for the reply, Werner.
> Yes, card works perfectly. I've tried gpg2 --card-status. Nothing.

I don't understand the reason why you could say "card works perfectly"
here.

Please give us the output of 'gpg2 --card-status'.  If it is nothing,
it means that your card **doesn't** work well for GnuPG.

Please check your gpg-agent works well not interfered by
gnome-keyring.  If it's real gpg-agent, you can get the output like:

  $ gpg-connect-agent "help SCD" /bye
  # SCD <commands to pass to the scdaemon>
  #
  # This is a general quote command to redirect everything to the
  # SCdaemon.
  OK

> It forced me to find my backup key and add a UID with it (works as it
> should).

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.  What's "it"?  Could you
please elaborate if this matters for your bug report?  I think that it
would be better to show us bigger picture to share your situation.

> As you may notice, GPG tells that "Secret key is available." because
> my card is present.

Sorry, no, it means that OpenPGP secret block of your private key is
available on your host PC.  It doesn't mean card is present or secret
key is on your smartcard.

If possible, please give us complete session log of yours, not
removing information by your interpretations (or hope).