signing failed with master key when I have stronger subkeys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 14 12:34:41 CEST 2015

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:15, dongsheng.song at gmail.com said:

>     sec   rsa2048/46D397FF 2008-02-02
>     ssb   rsa2048/7547A8A9 2008-02-02
>     ssb#  brainpoolP512r1/DD1C5659 2015-06-24
>     ssb#  brainpoolP512r1/24BEAC25 2015-06-24
>     ssb#  rsa4096/F7BC1BF1 2015-06-24
>
> Then I can not signing anymore even when I use --default-key or
> --local-user to specify 46D397FF or 7547A8A9:
>
>     gpg: signing failed: No secret key

gpg uses the lates signing capable subkey.  However you removed the
secret part of that key (one of the brainpool keeys I assume) and thus
gpg can't do that.  The '#' indicates that the secret part is somewhere
available.

What about using

  -u 7547A8A9\!

(note the exclamation mark) to force the use of that subkey?

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner