FAQ: drop mention of 1.4?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 28 09:37:54 CEST 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 23:37, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> The 2.x branch is the future of GnuPG development, has been for some
> years now, and is what the GnuPG developers recommend for new users.
> Further, a good part of the GnuPG ecosystem is moving to 2.0-only (e.g.,

FWIW: 2.1 even made it into Debian unstable and 1.4 will very likely be
renamed for the next Debian release.

> I applaud the decision to drop V3 support and MD5, and I don't plan on
> making mention of a PGP version that's been obsolete for longer than a
> lot of our users have been alive.

Some of these old time users may not follow the news thus may be baffled
when they figure that gpg is not able to decrypt their old data.  Thus a
short note that a GPG 1 version is maintained to allow decryption of
PGP-2 data or to be used on ancient platforms[1] should be helpful.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1] Neal is nagging be to agree to the use of some C99 features (varargs
    macros etc.).  I assume we will use them for 2.x - but not for 1.4.