FAQ: drop mention of 1.4?

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 28 19:14:02 CEST 2015

On 28-08-2015 18:12, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> 1.4 is fully supported, but occupies a niche. Support is not dropped, nobody
> forces you to upgrade.

It's starting to feel a little bit with ECC not coming to 1.4 (missing
function required to exchange messages with 2.1 users) and v3 key
support removed from 2.1 (people unable to communicate with pgp 2.x
users) but I'll see how that works out. It forces you to choose or run a
double installation.

> Can we please stay on subject. Your message feels like a general rant that has
> nothing to do with the FAQ whatsoever.

OK, I might have been caried away a little. If someone feels offended I
apologise.

> There's some tension between two of your desires, by the way. What if your
> correspondents in a few years have ECC keys? When 1.4 doesn't get ECC support,
> you could complain that they apparently have dropped support for 1.4.

Whan that happens I think it's time for patches on 1.4 to put ECC in.

> But if it
> does get ECC support, you can complain that 1.4 is feature-complete and should

Those are changes to remain able to communicate encrypted with others,
the mail function of gpg. I'm not asking for features like card support
to be backported to 1.4.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers