OSX: How to install gpg without Admin password

Dan Bryant dkbryant at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 23:15:05 CEST 2015

COMPLETE SUCCESS.

I had to add the *-program argument to both the gpg and gpg-agent
config files.  Below is very very crude shell script to show others
how it was done.  The script wasn't tested as is, but rather was a
notepad I had open to try to record the steps as I did them.  It is
almost guaranteed to have one or two bus in it.

--
cd ~
gpgosx=http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/gpgosx
curl -LO ${gpgosx}/GnuPG-2.1.7.dmg
curl -LO ${gpgosx}/GnuPG-2.1.7.dmg.sig
mkdir GnuPG
mkdir GnuPG/tmp
cd ~/GnuPG/tmp
7z x ../../GnuPG-2.1.7.dmg
7z x 4.hfs
tar -xf Install.pkg
cd ..
cat ./tmp/GnuPG.pkg/Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i
export PATH=${PATH}:`pwd`/bin
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/lib
export GNUPGHOME=${HOME}/.gnupg
echo "agent-program" \
  "`pwd`/bin/gpg-agent" \
  > ${GNUPGHOME}/gpg.conf
echo "pinentry-program" \
  "`pwd`/bin/pinentry-mac.app/Contents/MacOS/pinentry-mac" \
  > ${GNUPGHOME}/gpg-agent.conf
# this will start a gpg capable shell
bash
--

So if anyone is stumbles upon this thread later who is also trying to
get GPG on a Admin controlled Mac, hopefully this will guide the way.

Another path you could take would be to install Chrome and Mailvelope.
I know that Chrome allows "drag-and-drop" install of the browser
without Admin rights.  Once in chrome you can install the Mailvelope
extension which will give you a graphical interface for GPG
operations.  You can also export your Mailvelope key to GPG so you can
do finer manipulation of it through the shell.

Many thanks to Mr. Brunschwig for the tips along the way.