Insecure memory message on PC-BSD

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Dec 1 21:52:41 CET 2015

> Hey Everyone,

Hey, Anthony.  Sorry for the long-delayed response: I'm just now
crawling out from beneath my backlog.

> I'm using PC-BSD 10.2 and I get the message "using insecure memory!"
> when I type gpg2 at the terminal. Is this a major issue or is it
> something I can (usually) ignore? Is there a way to use "secure" memory?

Some operating systems allow GnuPG more low-level control over memory.
Others don't, and these other systems get the insecure memory warning.
However, it's <understatement> pretty hard </understatement> to exploit
insecure memory without root privileges -- and if your attacker has root
privileges on your machine then it's all over anyway.

In my own environment, I don't care about this.  It's a nonissue.  You
can disable the warning by putting no-secmem-warning in your gpg.conf file.