GPA - unsupported certificate

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Dec 8 13:46:14 CET 2015

On 08/12/15 13:16, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> The problem
> is that two software projects want opposite things; this would lead to
> an arms race.

What might be a better "fix", IMHO, would be to have GPA also warn about
this, so people know what to do. Perhaps with another environment
variable GPG_NO_WARN_AGENT_HIJACK because GUI's usually warn through
modal dialogs, which gets tiresome quickly when you actually want GNOME
Keyring. That is, if GPA works *at all* with GNOME Keyring; I don't know.

However, looking at the age and number of bugs reported against Debian's
gpa related to this mess, I think the package maintainers don't have a
lot of time to spend on this. So someone would need to champion it all.
Write a complete patch, and campaign for its inclusion in the next
Jessie point release. I don't know if it would work, though. If the GPA
maintainers campaign for its inclusion in a point release, it might
work, but I doubt an outsider could get it done. Note: I'm not a Debian
Developer. I'm just making observations from the outside. I might be
babbling complete gobbledygook (is that how you spell it? :).

HTH,

Peter.