advice please

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Mon Dec 28 21:02:12 CET 2015

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015, Rob Landau <landaurob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day,  I have just received my first Linux system (Ubuntu 14.04)  It
> has Seahorse installed, but I don't see any GnuPG application.  How can I
> determine if there is a GnuPG installed, and if so where to find it.
> Searching the Dash for GnuPG reveals nothing, and there doesn't appear to
> be any program in the Ubuntu Software Center
>
> Cheers   ~Rob

I use Debian.  On my system, if I open a terminal, and then,
whether I am root or no, give the command:

   apt-cache search gnupg

apt returns a long list of packages.  Here are the last few:

pinentry-tty - minimal dumb-terminal PIN or pass-phrase entry for GnuPG
python-gnupg - Python wrapper for the GNU Privacy Guard (Python 2.x)
python3-gnupg - Python wrapper for the GNU Privacy Guard (Python 3.x)
libqca2-plugin-gnupg - transitional package for libqca2-plugins
signing-party - Various OpenPGP related tools
gnupg-doc - GNU Privacy Guard documentation
gnupg-agent - GNU privacy guard - cryptographic agent
gnupg2 - GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement (new v2.x)
gnupg2-dbg - debugging symbols for gnupg2
gpgsm - GNU privacy guard - S/MIME version
scdaemon - GNU privacy guard - smart card support

On Debian, if you are connected to the Net, and if you do, as root;

   apt-get update

and then

   apt-get install gnupg-doc gnupg-agent gnupg2

apt should install the above three packages.

Likely Ubuntu has a "GUI" wrapper or an equivalent for apt.  I'd
have guessed that the "Ubuntu Software Center" would be it, and
that the USC would show you gnupg easily.

oo--JS.