advice please

Juan Miguel Navarro Martínez juanmi.3000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 01:37:30 CET 2015

If you believe that distro is trustworthy and one of the recommended
ones for Linux users, then just try:

   gpg -v && gpg2 -v

It will first try to use gpg and tell its version and, if it does, it
will then try to do with 'gpg2'.

If t's a Debian-based distro or a distro with apt-get, you can do:

   sudo apt-get update && apt-cache policy gnupg gnupg2

First command will update the local cache of the software listed in the
repository, if it all goes well then apt-cache will output a small info
about each package, including the prefered version in the repositories
and, either it'll say if it is not installed or if it is, it will output
the version installed.

You can also try:

    dpkg -s gnupg | more; dpkg -s gnupg2 | more

Which, if installed, will output information about the package, version,
dependencies and if it is still installed or not. First for gnupg, then
for gnupg2.

You are using Ubuntu 14.04, which by default comes with Gnupg 1.X
installed. You can install GnuPg 2.0.X by doing:

    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnupg2