moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:35:27 CET 2015

On 11/02/15 21:16, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2015-02-11 14:02:49 -0500, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> On 11/02/15 14:59, Brian Minton wrote:
>>> In Debian, the experimental repo has gpg 2.1 with all dependencies. Follow the
>>> instructions at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

.... snip...

> You don't say how you searched specifically, so i can't say what's gone
> wrong in your case.

I used the Synaptic Package Manager gui to search for gnupg2 after adding the
experimental repository in the Settings/repository using the formula given on
the website link provided by Brian Minto (above) :

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main

Amongst all the items listed then as available in experimental (after reload)
there was nothing shown in Synaptic Package Manager under gnupg.

> Here's what i see:
>
> 0 dkg at alice:~$ apt-cache policy gnupg2
> gnupg2:
>   Installed: 2.1.1-1
>   Candidate: 2.1.1-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.1.1-1 0
>           1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.0.26-4 0
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
>         200 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
> 0 dkg at alice:~$

When I try your way from the command line, I get :

$ apt-cache policy gnupg2
gnupg2:
  Installed: 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1
  Candidate: 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1
  Version table:
     2.1.1-1 0
          1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1 0
        500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.0.22-3ubuntu1 0
        500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

I'm not sure what this is telling me but I think it is indicating :

1.	that 2.1.1 is available in experimental/main Packages.
2.	that I have 2.0.22 installed
3.	that latest available for my distro (candidate) is 2.0.22

Although I did, last summer, install 2.0.22 using the distro's software centre,
I subsequently used the same software centre to remove it before building 2.0.26
on my own.  So I don't know why the above indicates that 2.0.22 is installed.

If I do gpg2 --version, it comes back clearly with 2.0.26. and enigmail clearly
indicates that it has found the gpg2 that I built.

So, moving on, if I do :

 apt-get -t experimental install gnupg2

will I get 2.1.1 installed together with its dependencies ?

And returning to my original questions, since it is written that 2.0* and 2.1
cannot co-exist, I suppose that I shall have to remove manually everything
connected with my 2.0.26 ?

Thanks, Philip