Help need to use truecryt + openpgp applet.

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Fri Feb 20 09:32:43 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.email> wrote:
> On 2/19/15 12:16 AM, Pete Stephenson wrote:
>
>> Considering the way it was abandoned by its developers, TrueCrypt is
>> probably not the best choice going forward.
>
> We don't know the whole story about what happened there, so I would be
> hesitant to attribute malice. For some of us who need to have the same data
> accessible on multiple platforms there is not a better option.

No malice implied. My apologies if I was unclear.

I just feel that using publicly-abandoned security software,
particularly when it hadn't been updated in the two years leading up
to its abandonment and used old, crufty build dependencies[1] that
hadn't been updated in decades, is probably unwise if one desires a
high degree of security.

Don't get me wrong: I really like TrueCrypt and think it was a great
cross-platform disk encryption program that was remarkably easy to
use, but using it as a part of new projects probably isn't a good
idea.

Cheers!
-Pete

[1] https://madiba.encs.concordia.ca/~x_decarn/truecrypt-binaries-analysis/