Unattended signing

NdK ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 06:49:52 CET 2015

Il 25/02/2015 00:01, Peter Lebbing ha scritto:
> On 24/02/15 23:16, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> If you asked me to /destroy/ the key, I would look through my drawers for all
> backups I have and do a "shred" on them, and think really hard where any further
> copies might have ended up.
Use a smartcard and generate on-card a new key that replaces the expired
one. So an attacker could still abuse the key (it's not protected) but
can not extract it to keep copies around.
I really like SCs for signature and authentication[*] keys since often
even if those keys are lost it's not a big deal as long as they can't be
abused.

[*] for auth, only if there's a centralized repository for the public
key, else updating all instances of the pub key stored in devices could
be a major hassle.

BYtE,
 Diego.