German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Fri Feb 27 20:28:39 CET 2015

On 02/27/2015 07:37 PM, Marco Zehe wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
>> Am 27.02.2015 um 17:31 schrieb Kristian Fiskerstrand
>> <kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com>:

>>> But that's the main primary reason of the article at all. The
>>> fact that anyone can upload _every_ key to a keyserver is an
>>> issue. If
>>
>> No, it is not, it has always been very clear no to rely on the
>> existence of a key on either a keyserver or on a local keyring
>> without proper verification and certification
>
> And here’s the other problem the main article in c’t mentions:
> Those keys, although faked, were certified. They were certified by
> equally faked keys which resemble keys that are quite well-known.
> So unless someone had the *real* certifying keys installed and
> could see that those weren’t the same certifications as on the
> forged keys, there was no first and even second glance way of
> recognising these as being faked.

This doesn't make much sense, if you don't have a trust path to any of
those other keys their existence is irrelevant, and that is before
taking ownertrust into considerations in the first place (only a dozen
of the keys I've certified have ever been assigned an ownertrust of
marginal and much fewer as full)

What is needed is better education and an increased consciousness in
society at large in considering security and privacy. I will concede
that we have a way to go on making the concepts better understood,
which is increasingly getting difficult due to diffusion from things
like discussions on algorithms and key preferences, that plays a
marginal role in the overall consideration of security (including opsec).

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public OpenPGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
"I never worry about action, but only inaction."
(Winston Churchill)