German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Fri Feb 27 23:21:42 CET 2015

Am Fr 27.02.2015, 23:05:07 schrieb Peter Lebbing:

> But what about that Man in the Middle who does nothing more than
> receive your message encrypted to their key and forward it to the
> real recipient you are building a trust relationship with?

He does have to do more: He has to intercept the messages or deceive you
about the email address to use. Both is possible, both are non-triviasl
tasks so that you also have to ask: If he can to that why assume that he
doesn't just hack your system?

> That MITM
> is following and logging your interesting conversation without either
> of you noticing...

So would he with unencrypted messages. Certificate validation does not
appear from nowhere. Either you have it or you don't. And in reality you
usually have to send the message anyway.

IMHO we especially need education for the masses that they become aware
that different messages require different security levels (in all areas:
key security, authentication security and system security). OpenPGP is
not a model technology in that regard, too.

As you can read German, at least slowly... ;-)
http://www.crypto-fuer-alle.de/wishlist/securitylevel/

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/