German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Ralph Seichter gnupg-ml at seichter.de
Sat Feb 28 12:37:17 CET 2015

On 28.02.2015 00:48, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:

> Please, stop spreading the iMessage falacy, it's system offers privacy
> only from *some* parties, but not from everyone.

I invite you to read my message again. I used iMessage as an example for
usability (as did c't editor Jürgen Schmidt), not for impregnable
security. There is a reason why I use PGP, but there are also reasons
why my family does not. Lately I have set up S/MIME when I helped
friends with their smartphones, but while that takes care of transporting
the public keys automatically, establishing trust is still an issue most
people spend too little thought and effort on. Lower that bar, and more
users will likely opt for end-to-end encryption.

-Ralph