German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 28 19:01:02 CET 2015

On 28-02-2015 18:21, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> Not sure what you refer to,... but if it's authentication schemes like
> ZRTP (which TextSecure wouldn't use)...

No it's not, it is much simpler. When I call my wife and are in fact
connected with a computer or agent impersonating her, they are unlikely
being able to copy her voice so good that I don't hear it. And even if
they are, I think it's very unprobable they would be able to fool me due
to them missing context.

Try it out: have 2 people who know each other well speak via a computer
synthesised voice so voice reconnition would not work. Then have a third
person who doesn't have intimate knpowledge about both others try to
fool one of the other two he is the other person. Unluikely to work.

And even if it would be possible, it would require so much manpower to
make it unusable for mass surveilance. It would probably only be used
against very high-priority targets of the caliber Bin Laden.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers