[Announce] Pinentry 0.9.5 released

Rex Kneisley freebooter2015 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 01:27:23 CEST 2015

Hello Group,

I have been experimenting with installing GnuPG from scratch and also by
using the Debian packages.
I am currently running Debian "Stretch" with experimantal added to get
me GnuPG 2.1.4:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

# experimental sources in order to get latest vertion of GnuPG
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main

Now that we have a new version of Pinentry, I would like to try
installing from scratch since the Debian package is currently only at
version 0.9.4-2.

I noticed when I tried to install the Debian package, (sudo apt-get
install pinentry) it tells me there are several variations:

Package pinentry is a virtual package provided by:
  pinentry-tty 0.9.4-2
  pinentry-qt4 0.9.4-2
  pinentry-gtk2 0.9.4-2
  pinentry-gnome3 0.9.4-2
  pinentry-curses 0.9.4-2
  mew-beta-bin 7.0.50~6.7~rc1+0.20150513-1
  mew-bin 1:6.6-3
You should explicitly select one to install.

So I used "sudo apt-get install pinentry*"
in order to get them all. Was this correct?
Does the available tar-ball have all of these too?
(pinentry-0.9.5.tar.bz2)

Now I want to install pinentry-0.9.5.

In the past I downloaded all of the tar-balls (GnuPG, Libgpg-error,
Libgcrypt, etc) to a folder in my home directory which I named
"Software" I then unpacked them, cd'ed in to each directory and then ran
"./configure, make, make install)

I'm older and wiser now. Should I unpack the Pinentry-0.9.5.tar.bz2 in
to the /usr/local folder and then perform the ./configure,make,make
install steps?

How would I put the libraries in /usr/local/lib and the headers in
/usr/local/include? Do they go there automatically when I run the
installation? (naive assumption)

Rex

(Sorry if this question is more Debian related than GnuPG related, but
it is the application I'm trying to install)

Werner Koch: