gpg-2.1.6 scdaemon: cannot disable OpenPGP application

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jul 20 17:40:45 CEST 2015

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:59, gniibe at fsij.org said:

> It seems that the support of those cards (other than OpenPGP card) are
> intended to be used with gpgsm (for X.509).

Right.  Or for SSH.  For example the Belgian EID card (a pkcs#15 card)
can be used for SSH.

> I don't think pkcs#15 driver worked for OpenPGP since it doesn't have
> READKEY method to access its public key.

Actually we did the OpenPGP smardcard specification with the goal to
habe one and only one smardcard application for GPG.  This simplifies
the code and makes it possible to test cards from other vendors.  Thus
if a smardcard vendors wants to support OpenPGP via GPG they need to
implement the OpenPGP card specification in addition to what they
already provide with their card.  This can be implemented as a
different view on the card's data objects and functions and would need
only minimal extra code.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner