Archaic PGP usage

A.T. Leibson jupelluri at riseup.net
Thu Jul 23 20:54:41 CEST 2015

I know this list doesn't deal with PGP, but since no else does either
any more, it seems like the best place to start.

I'm very interested in the history of cryptographic implementations. I
recently noticed that John Young of Cryptome uses PGP 2.6.1, which
struck me as odd. He's an old-timer, so I figured he just hasn't
upgraded in the last decade. Then I noticed that Theo De Raadt of
OpenBSD links to a 2.6.3ia key from 1997 from openbsd.org/security.html.
Again, I thought the key was just another old relic. Finally, this
morning I noticed that OpenBSD still has 2.6.3 and 5.0i in its packages.

Do people (other than John Young) still use PGP? Why would someone want
to do that?

-Adam