Archaic PGP usage

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jul 27 18:10:12 CEST 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:49, vedaal at nym.hush.com said:

> PGP 2.x can be used as a uuencode, and automatically split a signed
> and encrypted armored file into 100 smaller files ready to be emailed
> and reconstitued by the receiver.

OpenPGP also defines such an armor option but it is not implemented by
GnuPG because:

 - It is better to use the standard MIME feature for splitting messages.

 - Mail has replaced BBSs and we have other constraints now than the
   small maximum message size of 30 years ago.

 - Remailers need to employ their own system to send data in fixed size
   charges and can't use the PGP format.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner