Facebook and OpenPGP

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Jun 1 16:30:59 CEST 2015

Facebook has just this morning announced limited support for OpenPGP.
At present, it's limited to allowing users to upload an OpenPGP
certificate, and Facebook using that certificate to encrypt all email
communications between Facebook and the user.

It's a small step forwards, but an exceptionally welcome one.

Also, thanks to the individual in Facebook's security team[*] who tipped
me off to this minutes after the release was official.  I had no advance
notice of it, but the very instant it got rolled out FB made contact --
with the expectation, I think, that I would spread the word, although no
one asked me to do anything.

Thanks, Facebook.  We really appreciate not just the new feature, but
your reaching out to make sure the people who would most love this new
feature know about it.  :)

[*] This individual has requested his affiliation with Facebook not be
published, lest he start getting 50,000 emails a day from people asking
him to reset their passwords.  If you know or have figured out who he
is, please honor his request.  They've done us a favor: the least we can
do is return it.