Problem compiling gnupg on Ubuntu 14-04

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jun 3 23:08:02 CEST 2015

On Wed 2015-06-03 11:41:37 -0400, Sven Larsson wrote:
> It's a problem which has come up before, but I can't find a search
> engine for the archives, so I'll have to ask again.
>
> When making gnupg-2.0.28 I get the following error message:
>
> ../../g10/gpg2: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.20:
>
> I've seen this in various places on the net, but not yet found one with
> a solution.  I'd appreciate help.

You haven't described how you set up your build environment, or how
you're approaching the build process at all.

Do you have libgcrypt20-dev installed? [0]

On debian-derived systems, i'd expect a build to look something like:

as root, get the expected build dependencies:

  # apt-get build-dep gnupg2

as a normal user:

  $ tar xzf gnupg-2.0.28.tar.gz
  $ cd gnupg-2.0.28/
  $ ./configure # your options here...
  $ make
  $ make check

is this what you're doing, or are you doing something else?

hth,

   --dkg

[0] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgcrypt20-dev&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all