Hardware Keyring

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Jun 9 13:49:22 CEST 2015

On 09/06/15 10:19, Antoine Michard wrote:
> Hi All,

Hello,

Just a quick scribble, not an extensive answer.

> - OpenPGP Card <http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html>: cheap, secure, need
> a smartcard reader (or USB Key). Can't use on smartphone but easily
> store in a wallet. And of course it's Open Hardware. Can use Smartcard
> Pageant for Windows <http://smartcard-auth.de/ssh-en.html>

It's *not* open hardware. Only the specification is open. If you've
found the claim somehwere that it is open hardware, I think it would be
interesting to know where, so the webpage owner can be notified of the
mistake, or something.

It can be very difficult to make an open source crypto smartcard because
you usually have to sign NDA's and things to be able to use one. Open
hardware /with/ a crypto accelerator is definitely even more difficult.
Plus, how far do you go with "open"? Do you want the design of the chip
in the Hardware Description Language it was designed in? ("the preferred
form of the work for making modifications to it").

HTH,

Peter.