General brute force attack question

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jun 17 16:02:35 CEST 2015

> I think you can't *really* estimate the time to crack a password, all
> you can show is the maximum time it will take to try out all possible
> combinations.

Yes.  And that's what lets you make a statistical model: "there's a 25%
chance it'll take this long, a 50% chance it'll take this long," etc.,
etc.  You're confusing a lack of certainty with a lack of accuracy.  :)

Yes, Hollywood is awful about progress bars.  But that doesn't mean you
couldn't do one in an intelligent manner -- it just means Hollywood
doesn't do them intelligently.