Teaching GnuPG to noobs

Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh robertc at broadcom.com
Wed Jun 17 19:55:42 CEST 2015

Hi All,
This is an interesting thread and I want to share my experience. Part of what I do is train people for a secure position. When I am explaining compartmentalization, I use a two-key lock metaphor to help describe classification levels and need-to-know. The metaphor only deals with 'opening' the lock. I think that may be where the inappropriate use  got 'appropriated'.

Bear in mind that my noobs are generally at least technically conversant. I first describe that the public and private key are calculated together and are mathematically linked. Depending on the audience I don't go over the modulus formulae but I do then describe what can be encrypted with one key can be decrypted with the other. Then I talk about the actual mechanism for doing so. I find that if they have a least a cursory understanding of what they are trying to do, it helps a lot in understanding the actual command line/GUI sequence

I leave signing until after I describe the public key/private key encryption paradigm. I find that combining the two topics leads to a lot of confusion. Once they understand assymetric encryption then I go on to digital signatures and why they are important (Man in the Middle is an excellent way to introduce this topic).

HTH

Thanks,

Bob Cavanaugh