German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 1 23:25:20 CET 2015

On Sunday 01 March 2015 19:58:19 Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Am 01.03.2015 um 17:45 schrieb MFPA <2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-
groups at riseup.net>:
> >> and also gets rid of spam
> >> by requiring a proof of work to send something.
> >
> > Surely, "proof of work" is evidence of performing some otherwise
> > unnecessary CPU cycles. This wastes energy. In a system used by
> > billions of people, lots of energy.
>
> That "wasted energy" is a lot less than the energy we currently waste on
> spam, especially if you take into consideration the amount of human time
> wasted. The majority of the e-mail traffic is used up by spam.

And most spam is sent by bots. The spammers don't really care how much energy
the bots burn. Yes, the amount of spam might decrease because the bots cannot
hammer out that many bitmessages as SMTP messages per second, but your
hypothesis that BitMessage would get rid of spam is unrealistic.

Regards,
Ingo