German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Mon Mar 2 22:36:19 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 12:12 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 03/02/2015 10:16 AM, gnupgpacker wrote:
>> Hello,

Seems I inadvertently sent this message only directly without CCing
the list

> ..
>

>> This procedure should be implemented in keyservers.
>
>> No CA needed, no centralisation necessary => just verifying of
>> existing AND proper working email addresses.
>
> This _is_ a CA, granted with weak verification (could arguably say
> similar to domain validated X.509 certs), but conceptually a CA
> none the less. Such weak verification does not rely on being
> implemented in keyservers, and would be better off outside it.
>

>> Additional: There are lot of old keys on keyservers not being
>> verified in described manner.
>
> Because they are not designed for it, nor need it.
>
>> Those keys (or the newer, verified ones) could be marked with a
>> short hint on keyservers to differ between verified and not
>> verified email addresses.
>
>> Facility of deleting own (!) keys on keyserver wanted for old
>> (revoked, expired, test, failed...) keys.
>
> This could open up to several attacks, in particular where keys
> have been revoked. The keyservers are add only for a reason, and
> should remain so.

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public OpenPGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
"Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."
(Zig Ziglar)