Thoughts on GnuPG and automation

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Mar 3 19:09:32 CET 2015

On 03/03/15 18:29, Hans of Guardian wrote:
> Android has an installed base of hundreds of millions.  Desktop UNIX
> is the exotic system here as compared to Windows, Android, etc.

I have no idea about how difficult it is to launch the gpg binary with a
few pipes attached to a few file descriptors and perhaps anything else
you need.

But I fail to see why you brought it up.

I thought we were discussing two alternatives:

- Call gpg directly
- Use a library such as GPGME that calls gpg for you

In both cases, the gpg binary is executed as a separate process. So it
seems to me any issues with this are the same in both cases. In fact, if
it indeed is tricky as you say, you're better off if you have a library
do this for you, so you don't have to get it right in each and every
application.

Peter.