Thoughts on GnuPG and automation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 4 11:01:16 CET 2015

On Tue,  3 Mar 2015 21:29, hans at guardianproject.info said:

> * Android will kill apps when it needs to, app lifecycle is automatically managed,
>  the app has no control over it, and often zero warning is given

That is the same as with Linux.  Ever heard of the OOM killer?

> * Android was not meant to support launching processes from a shell/terminal,
>  it was there for core debugging, then opened up on demand from devs, but it
>  is very much a second class citizen to a Java Android app.

Why do you want to launch a process from a shell or terminal (actually a
shell is just an interpreter which has options to be used on a tty (job
control etc.))

> * all apps are child processes of 'zygote'

All processes excuted from GPGME are children of init. What is the
problem?

> * there is no way to install shared libraries to be shared by apps

I can't comment on this.

> There are other differences as well.  And iOS actually works a lot

Given that we worked together on adding features to GnuPG and GPGME for
use on Android I can't see your point.  Given that Android uses a Unix
kernel it is much more Unix than Windows or VMS.

You are thinking in the context of an application which runs on that
Android Unix kernel.  That might be indeed limited.  However we are
hackers and we can find ways to make almost everything work.

Shall we sit down and talk about the Android problems?  If we can do that
close to my place I will be available most of the time.  If it is better
for you to do it somewhere else, like Berlin, we need a bit more
planning.  Travel expenses should not be a concern.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner