where can one find an official gnupg project statement on the state of sub project?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Mar 6 17:45:46 CET 2015

> Wow .... at last someone has said it.  What a good idea !! For gnupg
> 2.1.2 as well ...

I think this is a bad idea.

Third-party software repositories are beyond the capabilities of many
users, particularly casual ones.  Their distro came with certain
repositories pre-configured.  So for us to say, "oh, and by the way, you
need to add this new third-party distro, and then do these steps to
replace your old distro-provided package with a new one," runs smack in
the face of

> At present, the [consensus] of many threads is that encryption in
> general is just too difficult for the average email user to use
> willingly and successfully.  The 'average email user' just has his
> burden increased exponentially if he has to build everything from
> source as well in order to follow the progress of the 'industry'.

We're not going to make things better by demanding casual users develop
even more skills.