AES-NI, symmetric key generation

Maricel Gregoraschko maricelgregoraschko at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 20:50:16 CET 2015

Peter,My understanding was that if you don't pass --symmetric, then a session key is generated, with which the clear text is (symmetrically) encrypted and then the session key is encrypted (asymmetrically) with the public key. Conversely, if you do pass --symmetric, then there is no random-generated "session" key, and gpg simply generates a symmetric key from the passphrase, that it encrypts the clear text with. Are you saying that that is not the case, and there there is a session key, used to encrypt the clear text, and the session key gets encrypted, again, symmetrically with the passphrase-generated key?
However my question regarding the standardization format was not necessarily related to the OpenPGP protocol, but rather, at the most basic level of symmetric encryption in general: you have a key, a cleartext, a symmetric block cipher algorithm and a mode of operation . Is the format of the output standardized within this context, of a symmetric block cipher encryption, rather than as part of OpenPGP? Would another software or encryption library be able to decrypt a text symmetrically encrypted with gpg, not taking into account additional layers of asymmetric encryption?Thank you for your help.