[cygwin] gpg-agent with ssh support ?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Thu Mar 12 07:20:09 CET 2015

On 3/11/15 10:27 PM, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.email> writes:
>
>> On 3/11/15 3:15 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
>>> The standard ssh client on Windows seems to be Putty; you may use it
>>> with the native GnuPG for Windows (i.e. Gpg4win) by using the option
>>> --enable-putty-support instead of --enable-ssh-support.
>>
>> PuTTY also has its own agent support, which works quite well. I'm not
>> sure why it's necessary to reinvent the wheel here. :)
>
> Still, one has to install a new piece of software but, in my case, it
> can be ok.
>
> So, just to be sure I understand:
>
> 1. install putty

2. Use PuTTY's agent, called Pageant.
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.64/htmldoc/Chapter9.html#pageant

It comes in the PuTTY package, so nothing new to install.

Starting and running gpg-agent so that you can use it with ssh is very
different from the "easy" socket method that is used for simple password
entry.

If you have an actual reason to try and fit the square peg into the
round hole, or if you're the kind of person who likes to do things the
hard way for whatever reason, then I wish you the best of luck.

Otherwise, there is an easy way to solve your problem on the Windows
platform, you should strongly consider it.

Good luck,

Doug