Enigmail speed geeking

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Fri Mar 13 19:17:27 CET 2015

On 3/13/15 7:22 AM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> I interpreted Dougs message as saying that a disadvantage of smartcards,
> as opposed to on-disk keys, is that you lose the key when the smartcard
> stops functioning. I was replying to this statement by Doug:
>
>> Further, the inconvenience of having to deal with generating and
>> socializing a new key if your smart card gets lost, becomes
>> inoperable, etc. is way too high a cost for near-zero benefit.
>
> So I say: you should use backups, duh.
>
> The fact that you /can/ use a smartcard without a backup, which as you
> say can be advantageous, by no means implies that you /cannot/ keep a
> backup. This is what I was saying.

Seriously? Wasn't it obvious from the context of what Robert and I wrote
that we were talking about keys that existed only on a card? And even if
that bit of subtlety escaped you, isn't it even more obvious that if you
have a backup copy of the key already then the point I was making
doesn't apply?

If neither of those things were obvious to you from the thread then
maybe you should reconsider whether you should be posting on the topic
at all.

Doug