Enigmail speed geeking

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Sun Mar 15 19:53:14 CET 2015

Am 15.03.2015 um 16:32 schrieb Stephan Beck:
> Am 15.03.2015 um 13:59 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
>>> Wouldn't the installation of haveged, at least for GNU/linux distros,
>>> extend the possibilities of traditional /dev/(u)random based RNG?
>>
>> No idea -- I haven't looked at haveged.  Sorry.  :(

> Now, I'll look for information on how RNG in GnuPG exactly works.

Answerung myself :-) after having read some chapters in the libgcrypt manual, I
guess, in order to work with GnuPG, haveged would have to be configured in a
similar way as, for instance, the egd (1). Without doing so, it would probably
be ignored by GnuPG.

Cheers,

Stephan

(1) #when compiling, by adding

--enable-static-rnd=egd (to ./configure)

#when using a pre-compiled version that has a different configuration, by using
#a loadable extension module, adding

load-extension rndegd

#to the ~/.gnupg/options file, or by typing

--load-extension=rndegd

#on the command line while GnuPG is running