Copy Current GPG Installation to Another Server

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Wed Mar 18 02:12:35 CET 2015

On 3/17/15 4:34 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> [...]

I conceded from the start that there are scenarios where Peter's threat
model is valid. However they are overwhelmingly unlikely.

You also seem to be ignoring the bootstrapping problem of educating the
new users on doing proper validity checking for fingerprints, keys, etc.

> It is also quite
> common to download the source from mirror rather than *.gnupg.org directly

Yes, and mirrors, by definition, are copies of the original. So either
they are all compromised (because the master is), or the subset of
systems that get compromised will auto-correct at whatever interval they
are set up to mirror the master.

So the scenario where "download the package and signature from one site
and verify the fingerprint from another site provided by the same
operator" is useful still falls into the "incredibly unlikely" category.

>> More extensive checking would be great, but would require a lot of
>> documentation to teach the users how to do it ... are you
>> volunteering to write it? :)
>

> Its included in every announcement[0]. Just a verification by
> cross-checking this information in various archives [1] mirroring the
> announcement reduce the likelihood of an active compromise, and is a
> far better to try to bootstrap a key validity in the absence of a
> direct key path.

> [1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.fsf.announce/2278

The announcements are of no use to the user going to the FTP site to
download a new package unless they happen to be on the mailing list. And
in any case, the archives and gmane.org mirror fall into the "same
operator" trap described above.

The thing I'm trying to avoid here is adding complexity that does
nothing but satisfy the OCD of experienced users who know the
good/right/best way of doing things and add no real value to new users
who are just trying to get started with the software.

If there were a comprehensive new-user guide that could explain all of
this stuff that would be a valuable addition. But there isn't, and I'm
not going to write one. So personally I'll settle for offering practical
advice to folks at the level I think they're ready to deal with it. If
you want to do more, then $DEITY bless you, I look forward to seeing
your efforts.

Doug