New "Everyman's software" from CeBIT in Germany

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Fri Mar 20 08:58:42 CET 2015

On 19/03/15 22:32, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 19 March 2015 09:18:03 Thomas F. Ruddy wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing Werner Koch's take on this recent
>> innovation. Werner, you speak German:
>>
>> A new "Everyman's software" featuring certification, key servers,
>> currently Windows only (Linux planned),
>>
>> https://www.sit.fraunhofer.de/de/volksverschluesselung/
>>
>> Said to be Open Source in this news-story,
>>
>> http://www.nzz.ch/mehr/digital/cebit-2015-fraunhofer-volksverschluesselung-1
>> .18505017
>
> Both links do not provide technical details. They talk about two things
> provided by their solution: A central PKI and some end-user-friendly software
> for certificate creation which automagically adds the certificate to the
> user's software (email client, browser, other software).
>
> I don't see any indication for a new crypto-standard. So their solution will
> either uses S/MIME or OpenPGP. I suspect it will be S/MIME because more
> software supports S/MIME out-of-the-box. ... I guessed correctly. It's based
> on S/MIME: http://www.golem.de/news/projekt-volksverschluesselung-fraunhofer-institut-vereinfacht-s-mime-einrichtung-1503-113011.html
>
> Moreover, at first one will have to use the eID feature of the new German
> personal identification card for requesting the certification of one's
> certificate.
>
> https://www.sit.fraunhofer.de/de/news/aktuelles/presse/details/news-article/verschluesselung-fuer-alle/ (also in German)
>

> Another crypto project is shown at CeBIT. It's also based on the eID feature.
>
> Governikus (developed for the German BSI) offers web application for
> certifying one's OpenPGP key with one's personal identification card. So it's
> basically key certification by the German government (for German citizen's
> only).
> https://www.governikus.com/de/pressemitteilungen#entry_6938266
>

> Both services appear to be restricted to Germany.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

Well if it's Windoz - then Microsoft are lurking in the woodwork - and that smells like very
bad news. Microsoft are never into free as in a free beer - Microsoft are into tying people
in to their software. End-user friendly software? Yeah right - whatever Microsoft does -
it's primary objective is to make more money - and does not give a shit about end-user
security. It's just another ploy to get users to give up Linux - or move to a Linux that
they control - and we have all seen how they play tricks over the years.

We have the whole house for free - that may still erk those that do not support free
software - and free encryption.

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No