Defaults

Tobias Mueller muelli at cryptobitch.de
Thu Mar 19 11:19:45 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 09:09:30AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> Create a new key:
>
>   $ gpg --no-options --quick-gen-key 'test key <foo at example.org>'
>   About to create a key for:
>       "test key <foo at example.org>"
>
>   Continue? (Y/n) y
>   public and secret key created and signed.
>
>   pub   rsa2048/50C4476F 2015-03-18
>         Key fingerprint = 11E9 91C2 36E0 21A6 1E35  A682 68CC E4C2 50C4 476F
>   uid       [ultimate] test key <foo at example.org>
>   sub   rsa2048/807D0FF4 2015-03-18
Is there anything in this listing that would allow me to quickly copy and paste
(e.g. double click and middle click) in order to further work with the key,
e.g. edit or encrypt to?
The short key id would probably do, but the "rsa2048/" prefix prevents me from simply double clicking it.
The fingerprint would probably be better to identify the key, but, similarly,
the spaces prevent me from selecting it easily.

> What are the preferences:
>
>   $ gpg --no-options --edit-key 50C4476F
                                  ^^^^^^^^
>   gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.3-beta26; Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>   Secret key is available.
>
>   pub  rsa2048/50C4476F
                 ^^^^^^^^

I thought short keyids are dangerous and should not be used,
cf. <https://evil32.com/>.  If that's the case then it might be a good
idea to fade them out as much as possible.

Cheers,
  Tobi