GnuPG 1.4.19 - Encryption Questions

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Mar 23 18:46:53 CET 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:29, CRivard at merkleinc.com said:

> Question though - the gpg.conf file is optional?   If I want one I must create it?

Yes, it is optional.  If you have more than one key it is advisable to
create one and add

default-key 1234567812345678
encrypt-to  1234567812345678
keyid-format long
keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net

So that gpg knows which is your default key (in this example the one
with key id 1234567812345678), to which key all messages shall be
encrypted in addition to the recipients (so that you can decrypt your
own mails), that a keyserver shall be used, and finally to use the long
keyid format.

Depending on the mail program, you need to add an encrypt-to in any
case.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner