One alternative to SMTP for email: Confidant Mail

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Wed Mar 25 22:25:57 CET 2015

Hi

On Tuesday 24 March 2015 at 10:55:04 PM, in
<mid:5511EB48.7020900 at confidantmail.org>, Mike Ingle wrote:

> The user interface has to do a lot of things
> differently from SMTP MUAs - display signatures, check for keys,

SMTP MUAs that interface with PGP or GnuPG (or use S/MIME) display
signature verification results (and actual signatures in the message
body if signed PGP-inline). And they invoke GnuPG etc. to find keys.

> detect key collisions,

If more than one key on my GnuPG keyring matches on an email address,
the MUA I use displays a dialog box allowing me to choose. An older
version used to just pick the first match it came to.

> display hash IDs,

OK, that sounds like something extra it has to accommodate. But maybe
an SMTP proxy could treat the hash as part of the display name:-

"Mike Ingle d2b89e6f95e72e26e0c917d0...cd0c2" <mike at confidantmail.org>

> support  gigabyte attachments...

- From an MUA UI perspective, does size matter when handling
attachments? All the user tends to see is an icon, a filename, and a
file size.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                  <mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net>

Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.