Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Wed May 27 13:53:15 CEST 2015

On 27/05/15 10:36, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> On 05/22/2015 02:27 AM, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> The key ID was 0x6e767393
>
> It seems for me that this key has subkey of ECC, and that's the cause
> of your trouble.

You're right - this key has an ECC subkey for signing.  I've imported this key
into another pc using Deb8, gnupg 2.1.3, Icedove and enigmail 1.8.2 and it
doesn't cause any problem on that setup.

I tried to re-import it into the original desktop system to see if the problem
recurred.  (I should have done that before writing the last mail, to confirm
fault). With the original desktop : gpg 1.4.16 and gpg2 2.0.22, Thunderbird with
enigmail 1.8.2 :

- enigmail filed to import the key

- gpg2 failed with the message

gpg2 --recv-keys 0x6e767393
gpg: requesting key 0x6E767393 from hkp server pool.sks-keyservers.net
Version: SKS 1.1.5
gpg: armour header:
Comment: Hostname: sks.alpha-labs.net
gpg: armour header:
gpg: can't handle public key algorithm 19
gpg: pub  4096R/0x2A234ABC6E767393 2013-10-08  Jacky Alciné <yo at jacky.wtf>
gpg: key 0x2A234ABC6E767393: removed multiple subkey binding
gpg: can't handle public key algorithm 22
gpg: can't handle public key algorithm 18
gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame
Aborted (core dumped)

- gpg imported it ok

- gpg -k  runs to complete listing showing the problem key as the last one in
the listing (which it is)

-gpg2 -k  runs listing but stops just before the problem key which it does not
list and gives this same message :

gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame
Aborted (core dumped)

- enigmail will not list this key

I have other keys in my public keyring which also have ECC subkeys and these do
not cause any difficulty either with enigmail or gpg2.0.22

So far it is only key 0x6e767393 which causes the problem.

Philip