Random Seed for Generating PGP Keys

George Lee george at cmtytech.org
Wed May 27 15:14:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm not trying to generate multiple random numbers, but just generate a PGP
key one time in a way that is very hard to crack by basing it on a one-time
seed generated manually in a reliably random way.

With software, there's risks that the sequence of numbers generated isn't
fully random and that someone could cut use information about the software
or other numbers it generates, to better guess any single number it
generates. I know that a CSPRNG is supposed to make this cryptographically
secure, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that some one-time
offline truly random process (like rolling a thousand non-biased coins by a
no-biased person) is guaranteed to be more random than any HWRNG or
software RNG that might actually have correlations you're not aware of. It
also seems less susceptible to somebody using knowledge of the software or
number-generating process to better crack what numbers you used.

(1) Is there a way to seed the random number generators used by GnuPG with
a one-time manually entered seed?

(2) Is there a way to seed any of the random number generators people have
mentioned in this thread, with a one-time manually entered seed?

(3) Is there a way to have GnuPG use a different random number generator
like he ones people mentioned on this thread?

(4) Of the random number generators mentioned in this thread, which are
cryptographically secure?

Peace, community, justice,
- George