Java library for OpenPGP

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu Nov 12 03:44:19 CET 2015

On 11/11/2015 08:49 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> It's a JNI wrapper, in other words, Java code calling native C libraries
> code.
> It's not the same as a pure-Java library that is cross platform, like
> BouncyCastle
>
> "The Bouncy Castle Crypto package is a Java implementation of cryptographic
> algorithms. The package is organised so that it contains a light-weight API
> suitable for use in any environment (including the J2ME) "

Yes, it's not the same.  In my own opinion, it's better.  I mean, a
wrapper is (far) better for handling private keys, if our major
purpose is privacy.  If the purpose is learning technology or
education, this would be different.

Crypto computation with private keys by some runtime environment with
garbage collector and/or virtual machine is... considered difficult,
or wrong in some cases, perhaps.

While I'd understand a wrapper is a bit difficult (say, debugging, for
example), I recommend a wrapper in general, so that real computation
is done by some real implementation.  YMMV.  I provide a view point.