best practices for creating keys

Benjamin Black benjamin.black at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:18:22 CET 2015

Among the privacy-concerned, there is a strong impulse to use the hardest
possible cryptography. The truth is that 2048-bit keys and a 256-bit hash
algorithm are completely secure against brute force attacks, and barring
any surprising developments in cryptanalysis, will remain so for a good
long time.

If someone is really motivated to invade your privacy, they are not going
to attack crypto, they are going to do an end-run around it by attacking
the rest of the system.  The choice of key size has never been the weak
point: it doesn't matter what size key you use if there is a key logger
installed on your system.

Watch this excellent presentation by Peter Gutmann about this subject at
Linux.conf.au 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahcUuNO4so