GnuPG modern can't genereate keys on my Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Sep 7 17:30:52 CEST 2015

On Sun,  6 Sep 2015 10:11, dongsheng.song at gmail.com said:

> In theory, you are right. But ALL Windows kernel object include HANDLE
> lower than 2^24.

I have seen kernel objects with a higher value.  Not necessary HANDLE,
though.

> Then if these cast is safe for 64 bit Linux, then safe for Windows too.

Nope.  Almost all 64 bit Unix systems implement the LP64 data model
where a "long" and all pointers are 64 bit.  Windows however uses LLP64
where only "long long" and pointers are 64 bit.  Further, file
descriptors on Unix are always a 32 bit "int" but on 64 bit Windows the
kernel objects resembling file descriptors are all pointers and thus 64
bit.  On 32 bit Windows pointers have the same size an "int" and thus we
can represent them using an int and convert them using atoi.

>>  2. In the summary page you state that the license is CC BY-SA.
>>     However, both GCC and GnuPG are under the GPL.  You need to fix
>>     that!
>>

> Thanks, fixed.

Thanks.

Shalom-Salam,