gnupg-for-java

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Sep 8 23:29:48 CEST 2015

A while ago, the fellows at the Guardian Project released Java bindings
for GnuPG.  A project's come along where I could make use of them, and
thought I'd give them a spin.  I was quite surprised to discover that,
as of this writing, they don't even build.

The offender seems to be jUnit.  The gnupg-for-java code uses a lot of
imports like "junit.framework", and the current jUnit drops everything
in the org.junit namespace.  On top of that, old test methods like
TestSuite from jUnit 3.8 have been deprecated in favor of Suite, from
more modern jUnits.

This doesn't appear to be hard work.  The test suite is about 250 lines
of code, most of it fairly clear.  If you know Java and would like to
contribute to GnuPG but don't quite know where, this would seem to be an
excellent "bite-sized" project to take on.

(If anyone's wondering why I'm not doing it: following my long-standing
rule, I don't contribute code patches for either GnuPG or Enigmail.
Although I'm not an employee of the U.S. government, I have a lot of
friends and family who are.  If I contributed code, some people would
make a ruckus about how GnuPG was now 'tainted'.  To prevent this, and
to maintain the community's trust in GnuPG, I don't touch the code.)