Temporary lock files?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Sep 11 11:36:53 CEST 2015

On Tue,  8 Sep 2015 20:19, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> I don't know of any such cronjob in debian.  Would you expect this to be
> something system-wide, or run on a per-user basis?

This used to be a system wide policy on old Unix installations.  This is
the reasons why you create tempfiles with a ".#" prefix.  I do not use
it because stale temp files may indicate a software problem.

> would seem to be, since it has the hostname in it), the usual place
> these would go on a modern distro is $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (typically
> /run/user/1000 for a user with numeric id 1000).  These directories are

GnuPG uses dot locking so that copy/link/rename is secured.  A separate
local lock directory can't be used due to remotely mounted and shared
directories.

> For home directories accessed on multiple machines simultaneously
> (e.g. NFS-mounted homedirs), are the locks required to work across
> machines?

Yes.  These are file locks and not process lock files.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner