[HowTo] use gpg2.1 with an onion service

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Sep 18 09:20:28 CEST 2015

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:32, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> to be clear, i think you want A lookups, AAAA lookups, and SRV lookups,
> right?  Or do we want even more than that, for example CERT records,

Right.  And yes, I expect CERT or OPENPGPKEY records to becode important
soon.  PTR lookups are probably also required.

> Would it be possible to start with a --use-tor flag that implied no use
> of SRV or OPENPGPKEY or anything else?  then people could set that in

That would be an option.  The full resolver functionality is required
for the pools.  But for a single server we can change the code to skip
all the pool stuff.

> This seems to be the current state of things:

Thanks for the pointers.

> Another option would be use a DNS server that supports TCP, of
> course. (e.g. google's 8.8.8.8 offers TCP connections) That could be

In fact, all DNS servers need to support TCP for longer results.
However I do not want to write my own resolver (or well, for Windows we
are already use my forked ADNS).  I need to look at the state of things
first.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner